The year in review

2009 has been something of a roller-coaster for me, career wise, and now's as good a time as any to take stock. And as I've been lax of late in tending to my blog, I thought I'd do it here...

It's been a real challenge trying to grow the agency in this recession. I'm talking about maturation rather than financial growth - our team has changed a lot over the year. As well as losing a couple of people to redundancy in September, we also lost our Managing Director in October and I was promoted into the role alongside our Creative Director, Will Bloor. It's been difficult to bed in processes as a result.

But the Digital team have really risen to the challenge, and we're already starting to reap the benefits of improved processes and standards. The number of moles which need whacking is going down all the time, and the moles themselves tend to be less vicious and spiteful...


















We've got an amazing team of people here, with more on the way, and some really terrific clients who appreciate our work - and who could ask for more than that?

My poor blogging record is probably a fair reflection of efforts directed elsewhere. I was very fortunate in my previous job to have the luxury of time in which to learn and pontificate about open source, and I certainly miss that time and space here. While I attended quite a few conferences this year, work back in the office was never far from my mind. The open source landscape (and technology market in general) will continue to evolve apace, and I'm anxious to keep up. This is something I'm keen to fix in 2010.

So my ambition for 2010 is to redress the balance between thinking and practising. There is some truly amazing stuff going on around the world, and when I see videos like this one (Salim Ismail talking about the Singularity University), it reminds me what I love about this industry of ours.



Seriously cool stuff.

And with that, I'd like to wish anyone reading this a terrific Christmas and a really happy new year!

++
Thanks to Kenneth B.Moore for the use of his Whack-a-mole photo.

Comments