Model for a Hotel 2007

I love the fact that the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square is used for exhibiting work by contemporary artists. It sends such a great message to tourists, don't you think? It would be so easy to put another statue on there, but I think it sends a much more powerful message; that Britain focuses on the present and the future as well as our illustrious past.

The latest occupant of the fourth plinth is called "Model for a Hotel 2007". I took some snaps as I went past the other night, you can get to these through the below thumbnail.

It's worth pausing for a moment to consider the esteemed company it finds itself in; the other three plinths hold statues of George IV, Henry Havelock and Sir Charles James Napier, not to mention the main man himself. All fascinating characters, and with the obvious exception of Nelson, I doubt whether most people could name the people on the other plinths. I'm ashamed to say I had to look them up, and I walk past them every day. And so if the unusual artwork draws attention to the other guys, and the notable part they played in our history, that's got to be a good thing.

Yay, London!

Model for a Hotel 2007

Comments